Saturday 31 January 2009

Some Food for Thought

My daughter has pre-announced her engagement and so the diet is on!
You are probably wondering how someone can 'pre-announce' . . . and you are so right in questioning that expression!

Her 'fiancée' has purchased the ring and wants to surprise her with his proposal, but she knows he is asking, and because she lives in the New York City area, she knows she must plan the wedding early or there just won't be one.

I have been procrastinating on dieting - well - if I am honest - since last July!
Well this pre-announcement has me right in gear, no excuses now! I need to look good in my mother-of-the-bride dress!
My long suffering husband met me about 40 pounds ago and I need to shed it back to what I weighed when we announced our own engagement.

So this week I began in earnest - low carbs is what works for me. I know, I know - no lectures, please.
(Everyone has an opinion, and unless you have read the Atkins books, I don't want to hear about it!)

I began my love affair with carbohydrates when I was just a young girl - penny candy was my main squeeze at the time, or perhaps, starter-drug, might be the more appropriate terminology! But it didn't take long to advance to ice cream, candy, cake, and pie! Oh how I LOVE pie!

And other carbs too - pasta, bread, corn, oatmeal - if it is made from starch and/or sugar, I love it! My sister, Sue says that she is positive that the manufacturers of the loveliest of carbohydrate things, place heroine in their 'white foods' to keep you addicted and coming back for more!

So this is a sacrifice for me - I have given up all of it. Yup, I am down to eating only low carb items during the day and a sensible dinner with maybe just a bit of potato or corn, and green everything else.
Snacks consist of tea, coffee, and sugar-free Jello.
Sometimes a bit of apple, raspberries, strawberries, or grapefruit, too.

I wanted to wait until Monday to get on the scale, but I faltered, and had to get on it today, and found I had lost about seven pounds! I am so pleased!

So I was thinking about all of this tonight when I was making dinner, and I thought I would share a recipe with you all.

Have you heard of Gordon Ramsay?
He has such a potty mouth, but we love him anyway.
In what I believe was his first series on TV, (where he goes around rescuing restaurants in the UK from certain disaster,) he helped one particular pub to become known for its great hamburgers.
And even though I didn't have a pen in hand, and he didn't provide measurements for the ingredients, I memorized it. A great feat at my age!
I made them tonight - usually reserved for summertime grilling - and it brought a bit of sunshine to our dreary day. They are yummy and I know you will adore them!

1 - 2 lbs of minced beef - hamburger to you Americans
chopped onion - a small one
Worcestershire Sauce - about 1/8 to 1/4 cup, depending on how much hamburger you use
Dijon mustard - a heaping tablespoon or two
1 egg - again, if you are making a big batch, add more

Mix it all up together and season with salt and pepper while grilling.
Don't overcook.
These have a lovely flavour and melt in your mouth when cooked properly.

Let me know how you like them!

xxx
Maggie

1 comment:

Elizabeth Graczyk said...

Horray!! I am jealous! I only lost 8lbs and it's taken me 3 weeks!! Good for you - you are going to look like one hot mama on August 29th!