Thursday 2 April 2009

A Bit about Easter

The umbrella, mentioned in a former post
Purchased in Witney, Oxfordshire, England

Three vintage, wooden, darling harbingers of Spring from Germany,
purchased from friends, Stephen & Gerry's Antique Shop, in Williamsville, New York

A German paper mache candy container rabbit and cart

My spring cleaning is almost complete, so I have done a bit of decorating for the season.
Here are some of the little things I set out at Easter and Springtime.
Some of them have been with me for decades, and have mad the journey with me across the Atlantic. Others are 'new' finds from England.
And some are actually and really new.

A Bunny Tray from my sister, Deborah, and a black-faced lamb from my daughter

I grew up in an area of New York State, with people predominantly from Germany, Poland, Italy.
So the customs I have are sourced from those influences.

Antique salt and pepper chicks I have had for at least 20 years Reproduction paper mache rabbit candy container, from Germany Vintage chick egg cups from England


New milk glass container on the left, purchased in Bourton-on-Water in the Cotswolds
Vintage white ceramic vase purchased at a car boot recently
Antiqu milk glass container on the right, purchased at an estate sale in Buffalo, New York


Easter would not have been the same without a bunch of Pussy Willows and Butter Lambs on the table. Chocolate foil eggs and trays with chocolate rabbits adorned the table when it was not being used for dinner. And, Mom always had some fresh stems of Forsythia in a vase.

We had white eggs from local hens, and coloured them each year. The Easter bunny hid baskets filled with chocolates and jelly beans and we searched wildly for them as soon as we were awake Easter morning.

Vintage and new paper mache ggs from Germany

When I had children of my own, I found an egg farm that supplied me with pullets - the tiniest of eggs from hens just beginning to lay them.
They were so small they fit nicely in the hands of my young children, and were easy to cover completely, with egg dye in a teacup.

Reproduction chicks, vintage egg; large vintage egg; two ceramic bunnies from Target

We attended church on Easter morning, too. I can still smell the flowers, and hear the hymns if I just close my eyes and listen.


A different type flower child pyramide from Germany Purchased on ebay in Germany

As an adult, I added new traditions to the old - most came from the Poles in our area.
A visit to an historic indoor farmers' market, The Broadway Market, (click on the name to g directly to the market, and also take a look at Hometown Girl for more images from it.) each Easter, resulted in a return home with bags brimming with freshly baked rye bread, butter lambs, Polish sausage, Easter ham, and some treats.
























Two cabinets found in an antique shop in Evesham, England filled with Easter & springtime treasures

Television featured the annual egg hunt at the White House and the Easter Parades being held around the country. Later in the day, the movie, Easter Parade was shown, and was watched as we eagerly awaited our holiday meal.

Times are different now, but memories remain. Spring is a time of change, and hope, and renewal. It is when all things breath again and com to life after a long, dreary winter.
I hope these images add a little cheer to your day, too.

xxx
Maggie

Vintage German Pyramide with Flower Children
I traded an antique doll for this and have not seen one like it before or since.
It is one of my favourite things. It traditionally would have small candles
in the little cups.

8 comments:

heidisblog said...

Hi Maggie, Haven't "spoke" in a bit. I hope your doing well. We are getting lots of rain over here.
Your blog post was just lovely. You must have an incredible home. I would love to see it some day. With all those marvelous things in your posts, I can just imagain how wonderful it must be.
Have a wonderful day and I hope to hear from you soon. God bless.
Heidi<><

LiLi M. said...

No these image don't add a little cheer to my day but a lot of cheer! I love your spring/easter collection! I love the diversity of German woodwork, English and American pottery and glaswork and so on and I love your Easter memories too. Thanks for sharing! Have a nice day!

Goody Cake Shop said...

Hi Maggie! FINALLY!!!!!!!! Don't know how in the world I make it thru to these techy things...
I LOVE that Easter Springtime blog..Just yesterday I was talking to someone at work about our Easters growing up and Richmond Ave Church.. really nice memories. Remember we would get our new Easter clothes and no matter the weather, would walk up to church in them usually freezing cold with no jackets to show off ourselves just so!!!!!! I'll find the one little photo outside church with ourselves looking matching (sort of) and cute! love your Springtime at home... beautiful as always...
xoxoxoxo Deb

Unknown said...

oh Maggie! what a sweet post. i love all your little treasures that you have shared with us. I wish I could send you some pussywillows! I love the little children you found at Stephen's shop too! Thank you for sharing your memories with us. You're so right, it is about, renewal & hope. Blessings, xo Susan

Ali @ Betty and Violet said...

I love your Easter decorations ~ especially the little children, so cute! A really lovely post...

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hi Maggie
Thank you so much for your kind & thoughtful comments on my blog. It was very much appreciated!
What a beautiful post!!! The first 3 pictures are my absolute favourite. You have such beautiful things, great taste! You must have been so pleased when you found that umbrella, I would be!
Hope you had a good weekend Maggie.
Take care
Isabelle x

PCovi said...

OH those paper mache rabbits!!! And your umbrella :)

I actually have that platter in pink! I had forgotten...must get that out :)
I hope you have a Happy Easter! I can't wait to sing those hymns myself :)

natalie jo said...

Maggie this is the most beautiful post! I so love all your little german figures, especially those flower children pyramids. I will have to add one of those to my wish list! Great umbrella too! Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday weekend!
Blessings, natalie jo